Saturday, June 21, 2008

Vegas Bound

In around 10 hours time I shall be in the skies en route to Las Vegas. After all the messing of being in and then being out, I am now in again. I've decided to take a shot. I am teaming up with Ladbrokes for the World Series and the package that they provide. Its probably the best package available as you get 10 days accommodation in the RIO as well as the much acclaimed Laddies hospitality. I have been told the RIO isn't the best hotel but I like the idea of staying where the WSOP is on. I'm not sure why it has a bad rep to be honest, it seems nice from the research I've looked at on the web.

I have decided to fund the WSOP out of my own money. It is a gamble no doubt but I believe it is one I have to take. I would not be able to sit through the WSOP this July and not be a part of it. The word destiny is a bit dramatic but I do think I was due to take a shot this year. Win lose or draw playing this tourney is an integral part of becoming a more complete poker player. I may not have such an opportunity again to just drop everything and jet off to the US with a fist full of dollars so take it I shall.

I had originally agreed a deal with 5starpool and a syndicate of boardsies. The offer meant a lot and re-stored a lot of my faith in boards. There are some good people on there after all. I am a little disappointed in myself in how I treated these people. I did agree to the syndicate originally and then backed out later. I should have thought out the offer more at the time, I rushed into a yes when in reality I was pretty uncomfortable with the proposal. I do not like the responsibility of playing for other people not least a syndicate of 40 people some of which I have never even spoken to. I had to back out and I am just sorry I didn't take time with my decision initially. Thank you again to those that got involved, this gesture meant a lot to me.

So I'm Vegas bound and very excited. It's my second trip having travelled over in November last for a week. The soaring heat should make for a big difference from my last trip as will the duration spending some three weeks in crazy town. I am looking forward to getting there and relaxing for the first few days. this is why I am going relatively early. I want to be able to acclimatise a little rather than just arriving straight into the action. My accommodation plans have changed a few times but I've finalised them now. I'm in the Gold Coast from 22nd June till the 2nd July and then the RIO thereafter. It seems that all the Irish are out of town when I arrive with Valor in New York and John, Chubs, Rory and Donal in Cali which is a bummer. The Blonde Poker crew will be there though so not all is lost.

As regards my expectations for the trip, I really don't know to be honest. My game is not 100% at the moment and I know it. The amount of errors in bet sizing I've made in the last month or so is astonishing. I just need to relax more and think before I act. My confidence is fine as i have no doubt that I can still play 100% in the Main Event should I iron out my game a little between here and then. I'm going to be playing around three warm up events in the form of Venetian/Bellagio $500 comps so hopefully I can put in some good performances there. i will try and keep this blog updated to detail how i got on in each. I've noticed I've said I about 1000 times so far this post which is rather disgusting. Hopefully my Vegas posts are more about the banter of whats going on rather than talking about myself.

I'm not sure if anyone actually likes planes. I am not looking forward to the flight purely because of the boredom factor. Being stuck in a claustrophobic seat for 10 hours is hardly going to be riveting. I'm hoping I can just sleep through it. I have to get a much more enjoyable one thereafter from Los Angelas to Las Vegas. Its only about 50 mins and is ironically a much more comfortable plane than the Aer Lingus one. Then its the short cab ride from McCarran to my hotel room in the Gold Coast. Viva Las Vegas.

More waffle then.

No comments: