Monday, April 07, 2008

Me, in the WSOP!

Ship the World Series Of Poker ticket, I am going to Vegas!

Cannot believe it, I am just so chuffed to be playing one of the two tourneys I have always wanted to play since the very first time I played poker. That and the Irish Open. They are the two biggies for me and they have always been two huge goals for me. It is quite bizarre that I'm getting to play the WSOP first rather than the Irish Open. I always imagined it would be the other way around. In saying that, I have only been imagining for the last 18 months, before that it was just so incredibly out of the question playing either of them.

It's turning out to be quite the 2008 for me. No matter what happens between this and the end of the year, 2008 will forever be a massive year for me in poker terms. I got a text from Marc today about qualifying and he used the words "you deserve it". I must say that meant a lot to me as I often wonder if people are thinking I'm just getting lucky. In many ways the year 2007 was a real transition for me as a player. I started taking things seriously. I put in lots of hours on the net and read boards extensively, I studied the game offline as well by reading books and getting coaching off hectorjelly. I dunno about "deserve" as I haven't been playing the game that long but what I have done is put myself in a position to succeed. 2007 was the year for building and that was the spring board for success in 2008.

So how did I qualify for the WSOP? I played a satellite on Everest poker on Monday evening. There was 51 players with 7 prizes and one WSOP package. It was $500 to enter and I played it once before the previous week. $500 is not cheap, but I was willing to give it at least one more shot as it seems a bit softer than the Sat's on the US sites. It was effectively relinquishing the previous weeks profits from the sites cash tables for me.

So how did I celebrate? I rang my brother and then I rang Emmett Hegarthy. Then I went home and told my parents. They were all thrilled for me. Then I realised I had a project due for tomorrow. Yep, I spent my evening "celebrating" over a case study on Starbucks. LOL!

I still can't believe it. Even as I write this now I'm getting giddy at the taught of playing with the biggest names in poker, at the most illustrious tournament in the world. Vegas here I come.

Awesome.

11 comments:

Jackyback said...

Well done Gary massive result and well deserved. Enjoy the experience

Unknown said...

congrats Gary, delighted for you!

Karl H

4percent said...

Edit that blog to remind people I got woken up at god knows what hour for the brag! Well done mate, you are a hero!

Lazare said...

Well done Gar, sweet result

Conor

Mellor said...

Congrats, nothing more to say

Bren

smurph said...

Nothing more that I can add really maybe just WOW or WOWSIE...
Well done Gary, hope you enjoy every minute...

Brillant stuff...

nicnicnic said...

ship :-) get in

snoopy1239 said...

Congratulations, Gary. I'm McLovin it! :-0

dokearney said...

Well done, Mr I-don't-believe-in-sats-cos-I-never-win-a-damn-thing-in-them :)

tenbob said...

Well done, nice result.

Just threw you a link.

http://tenbobs.blogspot.com/

snoopy1239 said...

So sorry for you m8. Keep your chin up.