Monday, March 31, 2008

Friendly with the enemy...

I didn't win a WSOP Bracelet, I didn't win the Irish Open and no I definitely didn't walk on water either. So why has my popularity soured in recent weeks? I must say it is very strange. I am struggling to come to terms with being "popular". There is nothing about me that should place me in this category. After all I am largely a dull, unexciting player. Also I have a quiet and shy personality. Yet everybody is talking to me and smiling and saying "hello". I even got 10 comments on my last blog entry, one of which was from Ciaran O Leary. Why does he care about me/or my blog, how did he even find it? What a gent of a man. Very pleasant to me at both the Irish Open in Citywest and the Irish Poker Championship in Galway and now I truly consider him to be one of my friends. It's all rather surreal I must say.

People who I have seen and known for years are suddenly calling me "Gary". Stormin Norman is a perfect example. I have played poker with this man for the guts of three years. Week in, week out. I would be lucky to get a "hello" out of him last year and now it seems he's known me for ages! (Which ironically is true but never before did he acknowledge my existence).

Don't get me wrong, I am delighted people are taking an interest in me. Poker is a game that is packed full of regular, familiar faces and i don't see why we can't be friendly with the people that we clearly know. I've known Norman for years and visa verse so I guess it really makes no sense that we have only spoken in the last few weeks. I do however understand and appreciate the people who liked/knew/was friendly to me back when I began playing in tournaments such as the Merrion freerolls. These are probably the friends I will have for life.

It does have its down-sides though, friendship in poker. Playing cash last Friday I bumped into Mellor off boards in the jackpot. I had only been thinking that day about his help and decency at the Irish Open the previous week. He really helped me out on what was an action packed day two and I thought that his help went a little unrewarded.

So 20mins after meeting and greeting a good poker-buddy I am in a pot with him for all his dough of circa €250 and I have him beaten. I am a poker player at heart and will optimise my profit against any player, in any situation and did so last Friday but I can honesty say it wasn't easy. It's not that I wanted to soft play, I just did not want it to be Mellor in the hand. I think there is an argument for those who believe you should have no friends from poker. Anything which involves solely the taking and receiving of money is risky business and theoretically you would be best served having no friends from poker. It just cannot happen in reality.

It is an interesting topic, "friendship in poker" and is being discussed on boards at present.

Elsewhere I am pleased to report that I've got my second ever article in Cardplayer magazine which is available for inspection now in this month's yellow edition of the popular poker player's mag. When it gets uploaded to the web, I will post a link here. I appreciate any feedback I can get so please feel free to drop me a comment if you have read the piece.

3 comments:

paddytheplumber said...

Have you considered that perhaps Stormin Norman may wish to borrow some money from you and hence the friendly "Hi Gary..."?

KP ;=)

LuckyLloyd said...

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Perceptive Ken.

Mellor said...

Don't worry about it Gary, I said it to you then and I meant it, even though I was (very) pissed.
I was certainly playing sub par, considering the amount of booze in me. I shouldn't of ever been in the jackpot. I should of never made the river, but when the case Q hit, its going in most of the time.

Thst said, you post was about friendships, not drunks (which is another moral issue, ignored)
You may not of been happy about it, you may not enjoyed it as much as you should, but it had to be done. We know this.
The inverse of you feeling bad it was me, was that i'm glad it was you and not a randomer.

I'll do a weeks round up, maybe, and include my shameful friday.
Mellor