Wednesday, January 02, 2008

In the words of Stan Hibbert, "I'm here all week"!

I'm getting quite poor at updating this. I kinda feel its not worth while for some reason. I think generaly blogs are never going to get coverage in comparisson with say a thread on boards. I dont mind updating it when I have an interesting tale to tell but at the moment its all a bit "meh" as Gordon would say. Mellor says its good karma if I write a blog entry so you can guess the reason why I'm writing here today. If it works well, in the words of Stan Hibbert, "I'm here all week"!

Poker has been good and bad over the Christmas period although mainly of the latter column. It can be such a tough game when all is not going as planned. The last week or so has been a stong case of this where it seems I just cant put a winning session in online. Today was the first day that it actually got to me emotionally though. I've dropped down to 1/2 from 2/4 and I did feel I was getting back a bit of form. I played for about three hours and my graph was a bit of a strong, sustained gallop folowed by a sudden crash in the closing yards. I really needed that winning session for my confidence but alas it wasnt to be. I'm going to keep plugging away at 1/2 until I get some money back. I've had plenty of bad beats in the last 10 days and they can only rock you as a player. Thats why I think its important to drop down as soon as possible when you are losing more than you should. Something I hope to put into practise more in the new year.

Speaking of the NY, I havent taken part in any of the resolutions/aspirations thread that have been so popular lately on boards. I planned on writing one in here but to be honest I'm not sure what I should be aiming for. I would like to progress both as a player and in levels online next year. Obviously I'd like to make similar strides to those I've made in 2007 but that is somewhat impossible considering the progress I made in almost every area of my game last year.

I believe that online is firmly where its at for a poker player and beating 6-max cash online at 1/2 or higher is vital for me personally. Live, I'm not so wrapped up in. I would however like to play one decent tourney a month just to keep my hand (and especially my big head) in. Live cash is something I feel even more indifferent about thanks to the crazy hours that Peter Maughan and the likes put in. I'd like to be at least matching them if I was going to do it and I think I probably am a bit off that standard.

The other goal I have for this year is to get involved more in the poker media. Updating, blogging and articles are all things I enjoy and putting myself out there in this area of work would be something I'd love to do more of in 2008. I'm reporting for pokernews.com this weekend with Nicky O' D in Galway and I'm really looking forward to it. It will almost be a case of "I'm here all weekend" Also cardplayer should be printing an article of mine real soon which is a nice bonus. I've only ever made the mnagazine once so heres to hoping I at least double that figure this year.

Thats pretty much it for the moment. Thank you for reading the most "me" entry to date. I have found it quite dull for the most part as I am physically incapable of talking about myself as much as I try!

Happy 2008 and good luck at the tables (unless you are playing on the same one as me in which case I wish you lots of bad luck-LOL)

3 comments:

Macspower said...

were reading garry... keep going

4percent said...

Good luck with the media aspect Gary. Don't give up the live game totally though, you're too good a laugh!

Mellor said...

Karma Gary, its al good for your game